I thought today I’d hit you hard and fast with sixty fashion fixes that need little explanation. Some of these have been covered on the site before and some haven’t, so I’ve put links to other articles where more details are available. I’ve also highlighted a few of my favorite tips for those who are interested…
1. Don’t buy expensive umbrellas; they’re far too easily lost or broken to warrant spending the extra.
2. Color match belts & shoes: black belt / black shoes, tan belt / tan shoes, etc.
3. Stout, stocky men should avoid wearing heavy fabrics.
4. Thin guys should wear heavy fabrics to appear larger.
5. Short men should try wearing vertical stripes to look taller.
6. If you plan on wearing a single color in an outfit, always mix multiple tones of the same hue to avoid looking monochromatic.
7. Don’t wear demin jackets with demin jeans.
8. Always shave in the direction of the grain first.
9. Remember the ‘two-foot rule’ when it comes to applying fragrances.
10. Shave after showering: the hot water helps to soften your stubble.
11. Short men will look more proportional with short hairstyles.
12. To avoid looking ‘washed out’, pale-skinned men should substitute white with cream.
13. Don’t load your suit pockets with cell phones, MP3 players and keys; they’ll spoil the line of the jacket.
14. Socks and sandals are never a good pairing.
15. Less is more: don’t drown yourself in body sprays.
16. Your feet swell during the day, and are biggest in the afternoon or early evening. You should buy footwear late in the day for the best fit.
17. You’re not a child anymore, so you don’t need to leave the extra ‘growing room’ at the top of your shoes.
18. Short men shouldn’t wear super-wide ties; they’ll appear disproportionately big.
19. Just say no to crocs.
20. If it has a rip or hole, throw it away or repair it; damaged clothing sends out the wrong message.
21. Just say no to novelty clothing.
22. Too much jewelry screams vulgarity; lose the ‘bling’.
23. Explore necktie styles by learning how to tie several different types of knot.
24. Got a job interview? Wear blue ties for junior positions and red ties for managerial roles. Also…
25. Don’t wear cufflinks to a job interview; they’re too extravagant and send out a message of aloofness.
26. A thick layer of clothing is far less effective than several thin ones.
27. Socks should ideally match your trousers.
28. Your tie should sit on your belt line, not miles above or below it.
30. To appear taller, stick to wearing solid blocks of color.
31. To appear shorter, try adding visual breaks with patterns and colours. But…
33. Just say no to the “banana hammock”.
34. Be age appropriate; after adolescence the baseball cap should sit front and center at all times.
35. Odd socks, as the name will suggest, look odd; a matching pair wins every time.
36. Baggy clothes on larger men look shapeless and dowdy; try something with a better fit to appear slimmer.
37. Tight clothes on larger men will emphasize excess weight; try something with a better fit to appear slimmer.
38. Even the most expensive clothes look cheap when they’re missing buttons; find your sewing kit and repair ASAP.
39. Jackets and coats only have pockets sewn up to help hold the line of the fabric in store; once you’ve got the garment home it’s time to unthread.
40. Your belt should be one size bigger than your waistline if you’re going to make it fit correctly.
41. Nothing looks worse than a badly knotted Windsor; control the fabric when tying to avoid the excess growth.
42. Pull up your pants!
43. Need a tux? Then it’s a white shirt every time. It’s called a ‘classic’ look for a reason.
44. No spandex at the gym. Ever!
45. Chapped lips? Then avoid buying lip balm with an oily base; it’ll simply exacerbate the issue.
47. If in doubt, don’t buy it!
49. You can spend thousands on top-name designer garments, but if the fit isn’t right you’re going to look cheap.
50. Just say no to branding logos; repeat after me, “I am not a billboard”.
51. Just say no to casual footwear with suits.
52. Stuck zipper? Rub a pencil up and down against the teeth; the graphite in the tip should give enough lubrication to resolve the issue.
53. Just say no to clip-on neckties.
54. If it has a stain, don’t wear it – wash it!
55. Jeans should reach down to the bottom of your shoes; dressier legwear should only go so far as the top of your heel.
56. Know the rules, but trust your own eye; if it doesn’t work – it doesn’t work. Don’t force it!
57. For an instant freshness boost, give your shoes a good polish.
58. It doesn’t matter how smart you dress, chewed nails can’t be concealed; clip, don’t bite.
59. Measure twice, buy once! If you can’t work out your size alone, ask a friend to help.
If you enjoyed (or hated) this post then please feel free to leave a comment below.