Sometimes it’s hard being ‘modern man’.
On the one hand we don’t want to take longer than our partners to get ready, but on the other hand we still want to look like we’ve made the effort.
So, how can you get great looking skin without a bathroom rack full of moisturizers, gels, scrubs, oils, creams and balms?
How can you achieve a healthy complexion without a daily cleansing routine that costs the earth, takes hours to maintain and a forklift truck’s worth of product? How do you remain debonair and dashing without the fuss of monthly facial appointments and skincare treatments? Here’s an essential guide for the lad about town who wants to look great without revealing his love of mud masks:
1. Find a better soap or bodywash. There’s a whole host of all-in-one washing solutions available nowadays that’ll clean, clear and moisturize your skin all at once. They’re a little more expensive than regular soaps, but you’ll save a fortune by forgoing the extra creams and potions.
Antibacterial soaps are good for the acne prone, moisturizing variants help nourish your skin, and deep exfoliation bars will ensure you get a vigorous cleansing all over.
2. Buy sunscreen with added moisturizer. Not only will a good SPF keep you safe from UVA and UVB rays, it’ll also keep your skin from drying out. Apply whenever your face feels a little dehydrated.
3. Eat better. The skin is the largest organ of the body and the one that takes most punishment. It needs a range of anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals to remain in good shape. Consuming a better diet will help your looks last longer. Don’t forget that alcohol dehydrates skin cells, so it’s probably best to cut out the ‘one for the road’.
4. Use hydrated shaving products. Rubbing sharp metal blades over your upper epidermis every day is an unfortunate evil, so make sure you look after your neck and chin by using products with a hydration formula. It’ll protect the skin without adding clutter to your bathroom shelf.
5. Go Natural. Chemical-based products can cause rashes, irritation, redness and swelling; why not give your skin a break by purchasing items made with non-synthetic, naturally-occurring ingredients – and don’t neglect your antiperspirant, deodorant, and cologne as part of that list!